News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Line choice for Greys Streamflex plus rod

Started by david hayward, May 11, 2013, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david hayward

Being keen to fish a lighter outfit i recently purchased one of these rods in a 4 weight. I tried it out using a Snowbee XS WF 5 floating line which loaded the rod beautifully and cast both a short and long line with ease. I then tried it out using a very cheap WF4 floating line purchased on Ebay. This did not load the rod at all well. Am still keen to find a WF4 line that will work succesfully with this rod. The tackle shop suggestesd that a Rio Gold WF4 LT line should suit it. Have any other members experience of this rod and suitable line combinations before i commit to buy an expensive line.

Harpo

Hi David,

Just keep using the 5 weight line if it works so well.
It's a common method to up line in order to load the road better at short range  as you often need to do on rivers.
I just got a 4 weight line for my 3 weight rod.

I think they key is finding the right line for the rod rather than a specific rating.

Some of the other guys may add to this with some casting science!

Cheers

Bobfly

I almost always use a 5wt line on my 4wt rods when they are used for rivers and streams. You are unlikely in enclosed or shortish range situations to be putting out the standard aerialised length that is the basis of the line rating attributed to the rod by the maker. So, yes, as Harpo said below you just stick with what does the business for loading for your situation and style of casting. Using one up on the line rating is entirely the correct adjustment for shorter ranges and that is just what you will find.

I use a 4wtDTF  line with open water and the float tube - but then shift to a 5wtWFF line if the wind gets up a bit !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Allan Crawford

Try one of the wildfisher 4wt lines from the forum, great price and as you say the 5wt works well. Otherwise the  Gold line will work well if you really want to spend the money, it is a cracking line !

Go To Front Page