News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Portable Fly Tying Kit

Started by Wildfisher, June 16, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

When you  go off on a fishing holiday to some remote spot, say for a week or more, do you ever take a fly tying kit?

If so, what do you take?

Billy

I will when I head to the Uists next year. That gives me a year to sort out some gear.

Billy

River Chatter

I've often thought of it, but where to start.  You'd really need to take a little piece of practically everything you have to be sure not to miss something you need.  It makes more sense for foreign trips I s'pose, but getting road kill on a plane's the problem then.

Scotaidh

Yes, I always take a fly tying kit when I go away, normally it doesn't get used but it is good for a rainy day or an emergancy.  

I have a small plastic case which I fill to the brim with materials, normally a selection of standard materials for flies that might be useful for where I am going and another selection of something completly different for experimenting.  Basic minimum of tools, cheap clamp vise.  Genetic capes don't fit in there so I take a couple seperate.

Highlander

I too have thought about it but that is all. I have too many flies as it is that I have to spend down time on holiday to tie some more. With a bit more thought I do not see any point in it. One should do their homework before venturing to new waters, find out suggested patterns & stock up before going.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Clan Chief

Funny that this should be brought up. Just this week I was thinking that I would maybe take some tying gear this year to the caravan at Watten. It would be good sitting in the caravan tying flees in the morning or evening or waiting for the weather to break etc. In truth all flees should be prepared before going on a trip  but I think tying on location so to speak and having success with them would add to the pleasure. Hell ,the number of flies my fishing parteners want me to tie means I will probably have to tie them while we are away to keep them happy. Back to the original question........ That really is a problem as I wouldnt know what not to take. I suppose a wee box of the basics and materials for patterns that I would be likely to be using depending on what location one was at. Need to have a serious think about this one.

Fishtales

I have three tying kits lying about. Two in the house, my main one with loads in it and one I carry about with not quite as much and one at the caravan that has some other stuff in it :)

For a lightweight kit I would go for.

Vice
Hackle pliers
Bobbin Holder
Scissors
Dubbing needle
Snipe nose pliers
Tying silk in Black or Brown
Three capes. Black, Furnace or Red and Badger or Cree
Silver and Gold tinsel, twist and wire
Seal fur in Black, Yellow, Olive and Ginger
Floss in Green, Yellow and Red
Mallard and Starling wings
Hooks #12, #14, #16 and #18, LS#12 and #14
Hard as Nails

That lot would probably fit in an ice cream tub, except the vice :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scotty9

In NZ most trips I did involved a fly tying kit with me in the car. And in some of the backcountry rivers. Saviour it was too on one occasion when the trout wouldn't touch anything but an exact copy of the hatching duns. It's not something i've ever done here mind you.

Go To Front Page