News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Line weight for rod?

Started by Tyro, January 02, 2015, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyro

Of course we are all familiar with the AFTM rating system. However surprised to read in Stan Headley's 'The Loch Fishers Bible' that this is based on DT lines and that if fishing with WF lines, as all mine are, we should increase weighting by one ie. WF8 on a AFTM rod rated AFTM 7. What does the panel think? Is this the reason for my dodgy casting???

Len

Fishtales

Unfortunately that is a long standing myth. The first 30 feet of any line is the same weight and has the same AFTM rating no matter what profile it is.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

Some manufacturers will vary the front taper slightly when it comes to WF v DT, but essentially, Sandy is right. The first 30' is for all practical purposes the same weight whatever the line profile.

I am surprised at that piece of dogma coming from Stan Headley.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Tyro

Well at least I am not now tempted to run out and replace all my lines :D
Still casting, pun intended, a suspicious eye over a so called Intermediate that I inherited from my Dad. Very dark green. Seems to sink very rapidly compared to boat partners Intermediate. And as for his (Dad's) sinking line (black very thin) I think it must be lead lined as it very quickly assumes the vertical.
Probably me just bored and wanted to spend money in the tackle shops in an attempt to make the season seem closer.

Len

haresear

Quote from: Tyro on January 03, 2015, 11:55:23 AM
Well at least I am not now tempted to run out and replace all my lines :D
Still casting, pun intended, a suspicious eye over a so called Intermediate that I inherited from my Dad. Very dark green. Seems to sink very rapidly compared to boat partners Intermediate. And as for his (Dad's) sinking line (black very thin) I think it must be lead lined as it very quickly assumes the vertical.
Probably me just bored and wanted to spend money in the tackle shops in an attempt to make the season seem closer.

Len

Len, I suspect you are right and what you have there is a faster sinking line. The usual code for sinking lines is that the darker the line, the faster sinking it is. Hardy's Wetcel 1 was light olive green and a slow sinker  - some might say intermediate. The Wetcel 2 was a faster sinker. It was a darker green and all the black lines go down very fast.

After typing that, I remember a Shakespeare intermediate I had that was a darker olive, but although it was also labelled an intermediate, I found it sank faster than their blue intermediate, which was a nice line. I wonder if the dark olive Shaky is what you have? 

Just something to think about for anyone that is struggling with sinking lines. I know I do, I don't use them very often, so it I have to remind myself of a couple of points.......

You have to alter your timing in the cast for the faster sinkers as they move through the air so much faster than a floater. It is also a good idea for the sake of safety to do a wee roll cast just to roll the line along the surface prior to making the first back-cast.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Tyro

Hi Alex,
Having bought few lines as I inherited most of my kit, all unlabelled, it has been a case of suck it and see while boat fishing. Suspect I may end up buying a modern intermediate. The Cortland blue intermediate seems to be a favourite around here.

Len

haresear

Quote from: Tyro on January 03, 2015, 03:31:26 PM
Hi Alex,
Having bought few lines as I inherited most of my kit, all unlabelled, it has been a case of suck it and see while boat fishing. Suspect I may end up buying a modern intermediate. The Cortland blue intermediate seems to be a favourite around here.

Len

I have a couple of the Cortland blue intermediates in #8 and a #9, I think. Yes, they are a nice fishing line.

Alex

Alex
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

I don't know that line but have a cortland 333 floater and it's been great. I bought a Di6 sinker last year, could really fish it from the bank, casts like a bitch and it was sitting on the bottom before I could retrieve, the flies must've been dragging along the bottom  :roll: I'll just stick to my floater!!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 03, 2015, 07:54:02 PM
Mmmm, i recall a phrase that goes something like.. 'fishing in the evening, or calm conditions is less productive' amongst others.

If you go-to tactic is drift,  chuck and haul then that makes perfect sense.

Wildfisher

I agree with you Alan, we know better, but a vast number, possibly even the majority,  would go with Stan's line.

Go To Front Page