News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Jacket Advice Needed

Started by JIMCCS, December 22, 2013, 02:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part-time

I've found some of the modern shell type jackets to be a bit vulnerable to damage when fishing more overgrown places; doesn't take much to end up with a lot of pin holes and other damage if not careful. Now when I get a new jacket the old one gets relegated to burn fishing/rough use. You can also use the bison waders principle and just buy cheap waterproofs for burns/rough use and just buy another when they get wrecked - they may not be as breathable etc but not such an issue for this kind of use.   

Buanán

Locally I just use an oil skin, anything up to a mile round trip from the car. I'm inclined to agree, re modern fabrics and jaggies; not best suited for the job.   

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Buanán on December 27, 2013, 02:04:29 PM
"keela munro", in black or green and black. Scots company, still I think.

http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/146/s/munro-jacket/category/8/
Made in Glenrothes, mines like an exoskeleton. Factory shop is worth a visit.
I have never had any succes with the likes of North Face or Berghaus great for walking but too delicate for my needs when living outdoors for a spell.
I aslo seem to remember a topic where it was mentioned that there are effectively 2 types of craghoppers gear? Original and budget. I have some trousers that are great and some that are crap, I suspect that I got one of each flavour.

I have been using the Craghoppers 'Bear Grylls' trousers for 3 or 4 seasons and they have been great. I'm now swapping them out for Hagloffs RMP's though (on a certain Corsican gentlemans advice!), those bad boys are bombproof  :D
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Bobfly

Craghoppers now give a garment lifetime guarantee. I have some Craghoppers stuff which has worn very well and is OK for the price. Check out TKmax for stuff as well. Never know what you might find there.
I have a Keela Munro jacket and very good bomb proof piece of kit if a bit hot for summer. Great multi-purpose jacket though and a good medium length of cut. £5 from a charity shop!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Buanán

I wear my Keela Munro fishing now and then, as it's the closest type of thing I have that fits the bill as an wading jacket. Most of the rest of the time I'm using it to look outdoorsy at work. Although it has been up a few Munros'.

Have to say I like it paid more than a fiver but I did buy it primarily for work preferring longer cags for the hill and I have a gortex old style jacket that I use just for that. The keela is a great all rounder though.

nacnud

Have a look at Paramo jackets etc, not cheap but the best jacket I've ever had in over 40 years of fishing & shooting, very light, breathable and totally waterproof - they also have an eBay site.

Go To Front Page