News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sage One

Started by Malcolm, January 05, 2012, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenwell

Interesting that you mention a Harry Fairweather. Wouldn't by any chance have been a P.T. teacher at the Harris Academy in Dundee in the sixties?

Greenwell

Wildfisher

Quote from: greenwell on January 08, 2012, 06:55:16 PM
Interesting that you mention a Harry Fairweather. Wouldn't by any chance have been a P.T. teacher at the Harris Academy in Dundee in the sixties?

I honestly could not say. He was a  pal of my mate  Bruce's dad. They all fished. I don't know what he worked in, but teaching does not ring a bell. Fairweather is not an uncommon name in Angus and Dundee.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 08, 2012, 08:58:10 PM
there is a moment as you tune in that is just perfect..sort of goes in cycles.

Absolutely. I find I peak with the rod quickly, everything "feels" great, then it drops away. My guess it's a novelty then  becoming sloppy on my part.  :?

Highlander

Wet Fly  "The Forgotten Taper"  Yes/No
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

greenwell

Quote from: admin on January 08, 2012, 06:37:51 PM
Yes and lines were level, double taper or forward taper.  None of these limitations appeared to damage the catches of the "old timers" I knew in Arbroath

Absolutely not and I think this is a lot to do with the fact that everyday fishing involved adapting to situations as and when they arose and they knew their tackle, it was an extension of themselves. I sometimes think that technology in fishing tackle of all disciplines is taking over what the sport is all about. I still have as my go to rod my old Sharpes 88 and a K.P.Morrit Intrepid reel. They have served me well and I don't catch fewer fish because they aren't modern.  Take a wander round the rainbow dubs, it's surprising how often tackle is blamed for lack of success.  I'm just glad that I started out with worms on a wee burn and progressed from there.  Indeed, I strongly believe everybody should.

Greenwell

Go To Front Page