News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

First fish on my own fly

Started by Guddler, November 20, 2009, 11:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

That one looks like it is on its last fins Alex. Where on the Grey did you catch it?

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on November 22, 2009, 02:56:00 AM
Aye maybe not all fish are lovely right enough :shock:. Here's another contender for ugliness...the fish is none too pretty either.

Conger eel/brownie hybrid?  :shock:

scotty9

Quote from: wildhibroon on November 22, 2009, 11:21:08 AM
Looks like the eel/brownies 1 of my irresponsible employer/landowners "created"
Good stuff with the fly-fishin tho!

I've come to the conclusion it's not a eel/brownie. It's a realy McCoy cock fish, long skinny body with a big head  :shock: :lol:

haresear

Quote from: admin on November 22, 2009, 10:06:13 AM
That one looks like it is on its last fins Alex. Where on the Grey did you catch it?

Somewhere I'll take you to. The upper river. Thankfully they are not all conger impersonators up there, but some of the long-finned eels are scary.

I spent about three hours or more on that one fish, thinking it must be a real beauty. It looked long enough to be 10lb plus, but I was puzzled why it let a smaller fish sit just upstream of him in the prime lie. It all became clear when I netted it. the big old fish had to take a back seat and let the young blood take over its manor.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

That's a weird fish Alex. I get one of these types every so often but never so incongruous as that. That one looks very bright - almost like a kelt sea trout that's on the mend.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

Quote from: Malcolm on November 22, 2009, 08:56:26 PM
That's a weird fish Alex. I get one of these types every so often but never so incongruous as that. That one looks very bright - almost like a kelt sea trout that's on the mend.

It does look like a kelt Malcolm, but it was caught in mid February in NZ, which is roughly approximate to mid August in Scotland. I've had a couple of ugly NZ fish, but that one takes the ugly prize.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page